Friday, January 22, 2010

Pop culture rant

Sometimes my boyfriend Trevor and I sit around and eat carnitas burritos at the best place in town and chat about how the world might be really fucked up in 100 years. Or even less. I keep having to remind myself that we are in the very early stages of the world.

Do you ever wonder if the constant meteor shower of media will eventually get to us? The core of our being? They've already socialized us and gotten into our heads psychologically in almost every area of life. I don't know if you've seen Idiocracy (the film), but it goes a little something like this. Luke Wilson travels from the present time to the future where we are using Mountain Dew to water our plants.

This is how Wikipedia describes it: cultural anti-intellectualism run rampant and dysgenic pressure has resulted in a uniformly stupid human society devoid of individual responsibility or consequences.

Doesn't this sound like something to be completely fearful of?
At times, I'll tell myself that the world isn't THAT bad.. there's nothing to be worried about. But when I see people being really passionate over Sarah Palin being our president.. or.. the fact that Kate Gosselin wins continous magazine coverage when her public divorce was literally last year's news. And I don't know why it was news to even start with.

Anyways, we must be critical of our environment.
We must question and self-educate.
Without this, we will fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers